Wednesday, June 09, 2004

How to Help Someone Use a Computer

This is a wonderful article for a business teacher. I wish I would have read this article prior to my first year of teaching. Many of the suggestions listed, I now practice in my classroom. However, there are many tasks that I really have to monitor myself so that I don't do them. For instance, I have a hard time not "taking the mouse" when my students are lost. When a student gets behind, I naturally want to catch them up quickly by doing the steps they missed for them.

Students are a wonderful source for learning to do things in different ways. There are so many tasks in Word that can be accomplished using several different methods. My students love to inform me of a new method of doing the same task, and I enjoy using their new methods.

Often, students are intimidated to admit when their computer doesn't seem to be working like the ones around them. As the teacher and classroom leader, it is my responsibility to put each student at ease about requesting help when something goes wrong. Encouraging teamwork and questioning each other helps with the fear to ask because if their neighbor doesn't know what is wrong, they are no longer alone in "not knowing".

As educators, we need to be sensitive not only to our students, but also to our peers as they ask for help. Thank you very much for asking us to read this article.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tanessa said...

I know what Divella means by taking someone's mouse. When I'm teaching someone at work, I've discovered that it takes more time and patience to let them learn. Then, they are more likely to remember.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home