Thursday, June 03, 2004

Chapter 1/Question 12

12. Can you calculate the exact square root of 2,570 without a calculator? Does the calculator make you smarter? Is the calculator intelligent?

No, I can't calculate the exact square root of 2,570 without a calculator.

No, I do not believe the calculator makes me smarter. Utilizing the technology available in order to solve a problem that I could not solve easily without the technology may indicate more intelligence on my part.

Yes and no, the calculator is not intelligent in the same way a person is intelligent. The calculator can not solve the problem without a user to plug in the required information. However, once the user provides the information, the calculator then can electronically perform the necessary steps to provide the user with the answer. Therefore, the calculator possesses intelligence that once set into motion can carry out a set of instructions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home